I screwed up and didn't blog yesterday, so that's two days out of the 30 that I've failed so far. Still, like the previous time, my excuse was simply that I didn't have an awful lot of time in which to blog, and my back being screwy is still causing me no end of grief.
So get off my case, mang.
Anyway, I now have to blog for today and - to be honest - I'm starting to run out of ideas. Never mind though, Jem has given me a great idea for a blog post and despite it going against one of my own pre-determined rules at the start ("No listicles") it'll do in a pinch.
"Enough already, what's the topic?" I hear you cry.
Yeah, basically, this is just going to be a list of things that I like and love about Jem, and how she's made a difference to my life in the 18 months or so that we've been seeing each other.
Jem did this for me once, in a private e-mail, telling me how awesome I was. She came up with over 200 different items (although some were basically duplicates) - I doubt I'll get anywhere near that, but let's see...
- She does the same job I do, which means finally I can talk/rant to someone about things work related and they understand.
- She possesses a decent amount of intelligence.
- And knows how to use it.
- She looks great in most dresses.
- She knows her own mind (most of the time) and is as stubborn as I am.
- She's a good cook.
- She's a great driver, despite only having a licence for a few years.
- She is interested in many of the same things I am.
- She does not object to me doing things that I want to do, even when they don't involve her.
- She doesn't mind me referring to her as "she."
- She looks great out of most dresses.
- She puts up with my car-changing habit.
- And my other bad habits.
- She's a fast typer, although not as fast as me - natch.
- She makes an effort with my family and friends.
- She has a varied taste in films and TV, despite not really watching that much of it prior to being with me.
- She appreciates history.
- And art.
- And architecture, especially gothic.
- She isn't afraid to tell me when I'm being unreasonable.
- She doesn't mind having the mickey taken out of her.
- And also doesn't have any problems taking the mickey out of me.
- The way her hair sort of "curls" around her ears is dangerously cute.
- She has a terrific smile.
- Which, in the words of Semisonic, she reserves only for me.
- She reads books.
- She has more books than DVDs.
- She has more Terry Pratchett books than DVDs (although, full disclosure - I've never read a Terry Pratchett book despite it being on my "to do" list for ever)
- She has a sense of humour that is very similar to my own (although we do disagree on some things, notably Big Train)
- She humours me when I tell bad jokes and Dad jokes.
- And also when I'm trying to dazzle her with a new card trick that I've learned.
- She's a great mother (although not to me, obv)
- She's actually managing to turn me into someone who is happy to be around kids.
- She has a childish streak to rival my own.
- Sometimes she can be as mad as a box of frogs.
- She is (for the most part) good with money, which is good as I'm bloody terrible with it.
- She looks great in my shirts, even better than she does in dresses.
- She works hard to keep herself in shape and keep fit, and is always looking to improve herself.
- She loves her cats.
- And mine.
- She had no concerns about me moving in with her and pushing my way into her life and home.
- She doesn't think my Celica is silly or "chavvy."
- She makes a damn good cup of coffee.
- She is sympathetic to my plight when I'm suffering with my bad back.
- She is very strong willed (again, for the most part) and once she sets her sight on something will strive to achieve it.
- Her extroversion brings out a little bit of my extroversion when we're with other people.
- She boycotts Nestlé products (I don't because I don't have scruples, but I don't particularly like the company or its business practices)
- She managed to make a list like this that was 200+ strong and all about me.
- She has overcome hardships that I can't even begin to comprehend and has managed to make something of her life and raise two well-rounded (so far, at least) small children.
- She has a fantastic arse.
I'm going to stop there as it's a nice round number (kind of like the subject of point 50) but in theory I could have gone on - I don't think I'd get up to the lofty heights of 200, but nevertheless, there's a lot to like about her.
(someone pass the sickbags - Ed)